• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Please Be Patient and Expect Delays

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
The "new" electronic system rolling into healthcare facilities across the nation led to a not-so-wonderful wonder of experiences today.

I had to see a cardiologist for a consult today. At the door was a sign to inform patients about the "new" feature, and to "please be patient and expect delays." My appointment was scheduled for 1 pm. I was asked to come in 15 min. early. I did. At 2 pm I was finally called into the examination room. At 3:15 I finally saw the doctor. At 3:45 I was leaving. I was very patient. But inside, my anxiety was for my poor mom, (who is hurting right now), and was down in the car babysitting my dog for 3 hours! (Thanks mom, for being such a trooper.)

Not only did I have a very long wait, I was given some papers to fill out and a list of my medications on file to review. I filled out the papers, and was checking the list of meds. "Hmmm. I don't recognize the name of that one....or that one....or that one....What's going on?" I peruse the two page long list of drugs...and wondered when in the world did I ever take any of them. I glance back at the top of the page and the label has someone else name on it. o_Ooops. All the pages to fill out were stapled together so I glanced through all them. Half had my name on them, half had another patient's name on them.

I got in line behind the next patient who had arrived, in order to return the papers not mine, and hope mine were not given to someone else. I heard the name the newest arrival gave the receptionist and the name of the doctor she was there too see. Uh Oh. I have her papers, and I've written on them...What to do? What to do? And, did she just say she was there to see the same doctor I am seeing and at the same time??? This isn't going so well. "Just be patient Luna, and expect delays." Then I hear the receptionist say, "Ms______, we don't have you down for today. It looks like you canceled your appointment yesterday. So we called another patient in." She insisted she did not cancel let alone call the office yesterday. Uh Oh. This isn't going so well. "Be patient Luna, and expect delays."

At the end of my appointment, the doctor is giving instruction to the medical assistant about my future appointments and then asks: "Is my next patient ready?" "No. It's a no show." Hmmm. That must be the "cancelation" that called yesterday...Yah think?

Well, the paper switch was handled discreetly. But, those poor gals in the office. I know they've had better days. And I hope worse ones are far and few between. :)

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
That is happening everywhere in the doctors' office. The extra paperwork, the wait to see your doctor, etc. and it is nerve-whacking. Plus along with the extra paperwork, you have to show your ID and insurance card so they can put that information in the computer.

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Do everything you can to stay healthy then if you need to go to a doctor schedule it as early in the day as possible so they won't be so much behind schedule. Bring a good book to read, or a pad of paper to record things you are grateful for, and practice yoga breathing while you wait. (Keeps the blood pressure down and maybe your calm energy will be contagious.)

I'm sure you helped, Luna, by not getting audibly angry. That would have just made the situation worse! Sending you, your Mom, and dog some love!

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Thank you Carolyn.

Great suggestions Ruth. I usually do have my appointments early. This time though, I did not have a choice. I was in urgent care Friday, and the attending doctor put in an expedite referral to the cardiology clinic. So, the cardiology clinic called me day before yesterday to say they had a cancellation, and would I like to come in the next day for a 1:00 appointment. Naturally, I took it, as I was looking at another 3 to 4 weeks before I could get in. I think the mix up, was that it was probably that 3:00 "no show" that canceled, and not the 1:00 one that showed up. It's a huge cardiology clinic, with about 13 cardiologist, so with this change rolling over, it's likely to be a bit rough in those larger clinics.

I definitely believe that when you are in a situation like that, patience is indeed a virtue. I'm a pretty patient person for the most part. Take after my dad that way. My mom, on the other hand, really struggles to be patient. She makes scenes over the littlest things. So, although I had some anxiety about her coming up and pitching a fit about what was taking so long, I'm so glad she was not with me for the initial encounter. She would have piped up and been "loud" about the mixed up papers and long wait. As it was, she had a magazine to read and even took Toby for a walk. And seeing how happy it made him to walk, she walked him farther than she planned. Plus, she was getting a kick how people fawn over how cute he is. For her, the time flew by, and the exercise was good for her.

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Sounds like good things came of it. What a day. I really prefer being on the other side of the window. Good advice Ruth. Carolyn I had no idea as we have not been to the doctor for a while. I know it is coming though. :-(

J

Josiah968

:( please be careful in terms of dealing with health....its too risky